Thursday, February 19, 2015

Be the light

I was driving to school this morning, and the red light guiding into the school parking lot was out. I thought, ‘Shoot! Someone’s probably going to be impatient and turn when they know they shouldn’t.’
I waited until all was clear, then drove to school. I walked in the front doors, and everything was black. All of the lights in the building were out.
Awkward.
Everyone’s thinking, ‘Yes! Hopefully they will let us out of school so I won’t have to do anything!’
The lights were out for the first hour or so of school.
The hallways? Dark.
The classrooms? Dark.
The teacher’s face? Dark.
Everything dark.
I could only hear people’s voices, and see the bright screen on my school computer.
When finished with the assignment I was given on WWI, I was like, ‘Hey, I should brainstorm some ideas for my blog.’
So I did.
And here I am, relating the school’s power outage to real life. It’s amazing how God can show Himself in the weirdest and most random ways.
I started thinking,
‘This school is a dark place….this WORLD is a dark place. And here I am, a follower of Christ. I am called to BE THE LIGHT. I am called to be the light in all this darkness!
The lives of these people around me? Dark.
Dark thoughts. Dark homes. Dark families. Dark pasts. Dark secrets. Dark souls.
How can they ever come out of this darkness if I am not doing my part as Christ’s body? How can they even get a glimpse of the light unless we are showing it?
When we think about being the light or sharing God with others, a lot of times, we start to feel anxious.
What will I say? What if they laugh at me? What if they think I’m weird? What if, What if, What if?
I don’t know about you, but I know that’s me.
In my opinion, it’s much easier to post a scripture on social media, or resist temptation than it is to walk up to someone and flat out ask, “May I tell you about Jesus Christ?”
Sure, asking the question wouldn’t be too hard in itself-but it’s everything that comes after the question. What if they say no? What if I’m rejected? What if I don’t have the answer to their questions? What if, what if, what if?
So what does it really mean to be the light? To be the salt and light of the Earth?
Well here’s how I see it.
You smile at the kid in the hallway that looks depressed.
You friendly greet the elderly woman in the grocery store.
You encourage and uplift the people around you.
You help others out. You reassure them. You tell them how great they look today, how smart they are, or how they shouldn’t give up because they are simply worth it.
When you are following Christ, you should be noticeably different. As Adam Kuntz says, “You should live your life in such a way that people ask, ‘Why?’”
When people are in your presence, they should be able to feel your love and acceptance, your encouraging nature. 
But don’t think you can do all of this on your own.
Because you can’t.
And neither can I,
and neither can anyone else.
When Christ is TRULY IN YOU, He shines through you to the outside world. Let Jesus captivate you, all of you. Realize that on your own, you can do nothing. Live in Christ so that others can see Christ in you. 
We all have trouble being the light sometimes, but we must be able to step back and ask ourselves,
How can I be Jesus to this person today? 
14. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a mountain cannot be hidden. 15. Neither do they light a lamp and put it under a bushel basket, but on the lamp stand . . . you are to let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works, and may glorify your Father . . . (Matthew 5:14 – 16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Text Widget

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

SLIDE1

top navigation

Flickr Images

Follow Us