Thursday, February 19, 2015

Fear of the future

I’m afraid of a lot of things. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot. 
I’m afraid of college. I’m afraid of my future family. I’m afraid for my future job. I’m afraid for my friend’s futures. I’m afraid of losing friends. I’m afraid of failure. I’m afraid of tests. I’m afraid of getting in trouble. I’m afraid of death. I’m afraid of driving. I’m afraid of the devil. I’m afraid of lots and lots of things. 
And notice, majority of my fears are fears of the future. 
And why is that?
Because I know NOTHING about my future. 
I mean, sure, I know how I want my future to be, but things hardly ever turn out the way we want them to. 
I become fearful of things when I think too much. I’m afraid I will marry the wrong person. I’m afraid I will be an awful parent. I’m afraid I won’t be able to support myself. I’m afraid someone I love will leave me, literally and eternally. I become so afraid of the things in my life that go wrong, I forget that if I am following God, all of these things will turn out to be right in the end. 
I’m the kind of person who likes to know all of the details. For example, when someone invites me somewhere, I want to know where and when and who will be there, and what should I wear, and what’s the weather outside, and what was the name of George Washington’s wife. 
The reason I am so fearful of so many things, is because nothing is in my control. And I know hardly any, if none, of the details of my future. 
And that scares the living daylight out of me. 
We become afraid of things because it’s often hard for us as humans to put all of our trust in God. In fact, it’s hard for me to put my trust in anyone. 
When all these fears come our way, we must remember to stop ourselves and say, “Lord I trust you. I know Your plan for my life is great and perfect. Even though it may not be how my plan is, I know Yours is far more perfect for my life. God, You are sufficient. You have never failed me, though I have failed You time and time again. Help me to put aside my plans for myself, and to trust You with all that I have in me-with all that I am. Give me peace, God, in knowing that You are with me every step of the way, and that You will guide me down Your path for my life. Help me to trust You, God. Help me to put all of my trust in You, and lather peace upon my fears in knowing that You are always with me, and that You will always love me. Guide me, God, and give me peace.”
One of my favorite teachers ever, Mrs. Wolf, (aka the best English teacher in the whole entire world), said something to my class that has stuck in my head ever since. She read us a devotional one afternoon before starting the English lesson, then said to us, “Guys-either God is sovereign, or he’s not.”
And He is. 
Don’t let the fear of an unknown future get in your way of living for Christ today-right now-right in this very moment. Live for Him now, and He will guide you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Text Widget

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

SLIDE1

top navigation

Flickr Images

Follow Us